Boonton Historical Society and Museum
The Boonton Historical Society and Museum was founded in 1959 by a group of business people and others who were interested in preserving and promoting Boonton's history, which dates to the mid-1700's. The original village of Boonton now lies under the Jersey City Reservoir. Today's Boonton began in about 1829 as a result of the construction of the Morris Canal and the development of the New Jersey Iron Company.
The Society's extensive collection of Boonton historical material is housed in the landmark John Taylor Building at 210 Main Street. This house, which combines elements of Colonial Revival and Victorian Gothic styles, was built in 1897-8 for use as a residence and office for Dr. John L. Taylor. His wife Adelaide had received the land as a gift from her father, the Hon. John L. Kanouse.
Canal Society of New Jersey
The Canal Society of New Jersey is a non-profit organization formed in 1969 to foster the study of the history of New Jersey's two towpath canals. Members help preserve and restore canal remains and artifacts, educate the public in this history and provide enjoyment to its members by visiting canals and other historic sites. Sign up to receive their newsletters and view the website for programming. Canal Days at Waterloo and Waterloo Heritage Days are popular programs offered to the public throughout the year.Read Less
The nearby Black River provided the power to mill flour as early as the 1760s. In 1826 Nathan Cooper built this gristmill with its water wheel, power shafts, gears and 2,000-pound millstone. Costumed interpreters tell the history of the mill. Guided tours. Scheduled Events.
April-June: Sat:10 am to 3:30 pm
July-Aug: Wed-Sat: 10 am to 3:30 pm / Sun: Noon to 3:30 pm
Sept-Oct: Sat: 10 am to 3:30 pm / Sun: Noon to 3:30 pm
Park open daily from sunrise to sunset for hiking, except during hunting season.Read Less
Dover Area Historical Society
The Society protects, preserves and recognizes the historic artifacts, buildings, districts and locales within the town of Dover. It maintains a museum, a living center for displays, meetings and research, and reaches out to all with educational and entertaining presentations of the rich history of the Dover area. Visit the website to see their programs and open house schedule. Visit by appointment also. Mailing address: P.O. Box 609, Dover, NJ 07802-0609Read Less
Florham at Fairleigh Dickinson University
The story of Florham, a gilded age mansion now the centerpiece at Florham campus of Fairleigh Dickinson University, began over 110 years ago. In 1887 heiress Florence Vanderbilt and her husband Hamilton McKeon Twombly, desiring a country estate, came to quiet Morris County.Read Less
Fosterfields Living Historical Farm
General Joseph Warren Revere, grandson of Paul Revere, bought this former Colonial-era farm property in the mid-1800s and built the impressive Gothic Revival home, The Willows. Charles Foster purchased the farm in 1881, changing its name to Fosterfields, and it was here that his daughter, Caroline Foster, lived 98 of her 102 years. As she wished, Fosterfields today offers an incomparable opportunity to experience Morris County's agricultural heritage, providing through its living history programs and tours, a fascinating look at agrarian life in the late Victorian era. The Willows at Fosterfields Living Historical FarmRead Less
Reverend John Hancock, a Methodist minister, married in 1802 and purchased four acres at the bend in Ridgedale Avenue where the road turns to go west to Madison. His home at this location was constructed that year. It became a center for preaching. Eventually Hancock's land holdings grew to 100 acres. The farm supported his family and the family created a broom business at this site. Later the family produced apples and built a cider press which became locally famous for its cider. Reverend Hancock produced fresh cider and vinegar. Later his descendants produced sparkling champagne from apples, until 1871 when the town became "dry". The Hancock Cemetery on the property was opened in July 1849.
The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 and is maintained by the Florham Park Historic Preservation Commission.Read Less
Discover the "Birthplace of the Telegraph" and Morristown's special place in the Industrial Revolution. This 7.5-acre site is comprised of eight historic structures. Among these are the home of Stephen Vail, the proprietor of the Speedwell Ironworks, restored to the period of 1844-1864, and the Factory Building where Samuel F.B. Morse and Alfred Vail first publicly demonstrated the telegraph. This is one of four Morris County National Historic Landmarks. Historic SpeedwellRead Less
Jefferson Township Museum: The George Chamberlain House
The Jefferson Township Museum is located in the George Chamberlain House, built in the 1870s for Amos Chamberlain, a resident of Milton Village, for his son George and his wife Ruth Elizabeth Speaker. The museum is on the State and National Registers of Historic Places. Miss Elizabeth’s Shoppe is open to the public during museum hours. The museum is open the first Sunday of every month March to December from 1 to 4 p.m.
Little Red Schoolhouse
The Little Red Schoolhouse, also known as Columbia School District No. 5 Schoolhouse, is located in Florham Park. The schoolhouse was built in 1866 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and then re-instated in June 6, 1986. It is open to the public the first Sunday of most months with hours of 2:00-4:00pm. Open each July 4, from 1:00-3:00pm. Entrance donations are accepted and appreciated. As a museum it includes artifacts such as broom making equipment, old maps and old school desks, and more from the 1800s and 1900s. Come ring the school bell.
It is a vernacular Italianate one-story narrow red brick masonry building with a steep roof and tall 9/9 windows topped with gently arches. In 1905, it was expanded from four bays to the current six. The open belfry at the front peak with working bell and the gable-end entrance make it instantly identifiable as a typical 19th century one-room schoolhouse.
Its location at the historic crossroads of Florham Park has remained a key reminder of the borough’s rural origins. The classic schoolhouse for is the borough’s icon, appearing on the town flag, letter head, website, and public works and first responder vehicles. In 1978, the schoolhouse was moved back several yards to accommodate the expanded Columbia Turnpike.
Ground floor museum is ADA accessible (but basement restrooms are not).
The schoolhouse museum is operated by the Historical Society of Florham Park. • Part of the museum is set up as a schoolroom from a century ago and mini lectures are offered for small groups of students and Scouts. • Exhibits illustrate the development of Florham Park from a rural farming community, to the home of three major estates, and he community’s growth into a modern suburb.Read Less
Macculloch Hall Historical Museum and Gardens
This 20-room Federal-style mansion was built in 1810 by George Macculloch, the father of the Morris Canal. The museum's ten period rooms showcase fine 18th and 19th century furnishings while two galleries offer changing exhibits. The museum is renowned for its collection of original prints and drawings by Thomas Nast, the famous 19th century political cartoonist who once lived across the avenue. Macculloch Hall Historical Museum and GardensRead Less
Morris County Historical Society at Acorn Hall
Acorn Hall was built as a private residence in 1853 in the Victorian Italianate Villa style, complete with an unusual octagonal tower. Now a house museum, it is decorated with original furnishings, carpeting and wall coverings. The museum hosts changing exhibits on local history or nineteenth century life, a Victorian garden, and a gift shop called the Oak Leaf. Home to the Morris County Historical Society. The Morris County Historical Society at Acorn HallRead Less
Morris Plains Museum
Through permanent and changing exhibits the Museum preserves the town’s history with a collection of artifacts, records and documents relating to the development of the community and some of its famous former residents, including artist Homer Davenport. The museum is open the first, second and third Saturdays of the month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and by appointment.Read Less
The Morristown Green
The official conservators of the 1715 Morristown Green, the Trustees provide for its maintenance and capital improvements, and oversee events that take place on the Green. Historic signage on the Green tells the story of the importance of the space to Morris County’s development. Morristown Green
Morristown National Historical Park
The National Park Service at Morristown National Historical Park preserves, protects and maintains the landscapes, structures, features, archeological resources and collections of the Continental Army winter encampments, the headquarters of General George Washington, and related Revolutionary War sites at Morristown for the benefit and inspiration of the public. Morristown National Historical Park
The National Park Service at Morristown National Historical Park is pleased to announce that it will begin its seven-day-a-week, summer hours of operation on July 1, 2016.
Both the Washington’s Headquarters Museum and Jockey Hollow Visitor Center buildings will be open daily from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm.
The Ford Mansion also will be open daily with tours at 10:00 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 3:00 pm, and 4:00 pm. Tickets for Ford Mansion tours must be obtained in the Washington’s Headquarters Museum.
The grounds of all park areas will be open from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.
On August 31, 2015, the park will resume its regular Wednesday through Sunday operating schedule.Read Less
Mount Hope Historical Park
Mining at Mount Hope had begun as early as 1710, making it one of the oldest mining areas in Colonial America. For the next 270 years, mines at Mount Hope and throughout Rockaway Township were worked almost continuously, with the last mine operating until 1978.Read Less
Mount Tabor Historical Society at The Richardson History House
The Mount Tabor Historical Society preserves the history of Mount Tabor, established in 1869 as one of the first Methodist summer camp meetings in New Jersey, which has evolved into a neighborhood of permanent, fanciful Victorian residences and buildings. The Mount Tabor Historic District is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places. The Society shares their historic community as well as the Mount Tabor Camp Meeting Museum housed in the 1873 Richardson History House. Visitors are invited to travel back to another era and see what it was like to spend a summer, camp meeting style. The Society sponsors a self-guided house tour in Mount Tabor every year on the last Saturday in September. The Museum is open the second Sunday of the month from 12 to 4 p.m. and by appointment. Park near the post office at 26 Simpson Avenue and walk up the path to the Museum on Trinity Park.Read Less
Museum of Early Trades & Crafts
Explore 18th and 19th century American history with a focus on New Jersey craftsmen and artisans. This Richardsonian Romanesque Revival building was formerly a library, a gift to the people of Madison from wealthy financier D. Willis James in 1900. Museum of Early Trades & Crafts
North Jersey History & Genealogy Center
The Morristown & Morris Township Library is home to the North Jersey History & Genealogy Center, a research department with over 60,000 books, maps, microfilm archival and manuscript collections relating to New Jersey. The library also houses an exhibition gallery with rotating exhibits culled from the library's extensive local history archives.
Mon. - Thurs. 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Fri. 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat. 9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Sun. 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Call for summer hours
Ralston Cider Mill
This former gristmill, built in 1848, was transformed into a cider mill distillery in 1910. Closed in 1938, the mill and original equipment were restored and opened to the public in 2008 to present the Morris County history of hard cider, peach brandy, applejack and bootleg Jersey Lightning. Ralston Cider MillRead Less
Schuyler-Hamilton House is the Colonial-era home of Dr. Jabez Campfield. It was used by General Washington's personal physician, Dr. John Cochran during the winter encampment of 1779-80. Washington’s aide, Colonel Alexander Hamilton, courted house guest Betsy Schuyler here. Schuyler-Hamilton HouseRead Less
The Stickley Museum at Craftsman Farms
This 30-acre National Historic Landmark is the 1911 estate of noted designer, Gustav Stickley, who is internationally known for his multiple roles as lifestyle designer, philosopher, publisher, social critic, and leader of the American Arts and Crafts Movement. This is one of four National Historic Landmarks in Morris County. The Stickley Museum at Craftsman FarmsRead Less
Whippany Burying Yard
The Whippany Burying Yard on Route 10, established in 1718, is the oldest cemetery in northern New Jersey. There are eleven revolutionary soldiers, some soldiers who fought in the Civil War and people from prominent families in what was the original Hanover Township. Among the citizens buried there are Colonel Joseph Tuttle, commander of the Morris County Militia, and Abraham Kitchel, an early settler, and both original judges of Morris County. The burying yard has been recognized on the State and National Registers of Historic Places and was established as a “Township Designated Landmark Site.”
One of the main duties of the Hanover Landmark Commission is to restore and/or repair gravestones, an ongoing job. Other activities include the placing of plaques on significant sites and buildings (9 at present), the producing of a brochure which illustrates a tour of the burying yard, displaying changing exhibits in the Municipal Building showcasing important organizations and/or activities in Hanover Township, and conducting seminars to educate the children and adults of Hanover Township. Two seminars have already taken place with a third upcoming to celebrate the Tercentennial of the local Iron Forge.Read Less
Whippany Railway Museum
Through its displays of vintage trains and railroad memorabilia, Morris County's and New Jersey's railroad history comes alive. Sign up for a special holiday train excursion. Whippany Railway Museum
The Butler Museum collections include industrial artifacts from the major industries in Butler, hundreds of postcards and slides of scenes of Butler, school yearbooks, military materials from the Civil War to Desert Storm, ledgers and journals of fraternal, military and social organizations, the tools of various early trades, appliances and home life items, Boy and Girl Scout memorabilia, photos and history of the CCC Camp in Butler in the 1930's, microfilm reels of the Butler/Bloomingdale Argus and the Suburban Trends as well as other early local publications. They even have a 1900's park bench. Located in the old train station, across the street from 234 Main Street.
Open Saturdays 10 am to 2 pm and by appointment. Call ahead as the museum is undergoing renovations.Read Less