Created by an Act of the State Legislature on March 15, 1738 separating it from Hunterdon County, the county derived its name from Colonel Lewis Morris, then Governor of the Province of NJ. The county is known as the "Military Capital of the Revolution", and each of its 39 municipalities played some part in the war effort and contains something of historical importance to this day. Preserving this proud heritage falls to the Morris County Heritage Commission, Historical Society and numerous other groups.
Washington Township is a is one of six municipalities (five of which are townships) in the state of New Jersey with the name Washington. To add to the confusion, Washington Borough is surrounded by the municipality that is also called Washington Township.
Washington Township was incorporated as a township on April 2, 1798 from portions of Roxbury Township. Portions of the township were taken to form Chester Township as of April 1, 1799.
Long Valley is a an unincorporated area located within Washington Township. The Long Valley section , the heart of the township, was called German Valley when it was first settled in the 18th century by people from Saxony, Germany. The name German Valley was replaced during WWI because of anti-germanic sentiments across the nation.
Schooley's Mountain is an unincorporated community in Washington Township named for the Schooley family, who owned a considerable amount of land during the 1790s. The Schooley’s Mountain section was a famous resort in the 19th century because of its natural springs.
Photo of Long Valley