Created by an Act of the State Legislature on March 15, 1738 separating it from Hunterdon County, the county derived its name from Colonel Lewis Morris, then Governor of the Province of NJ. The county is known as the "Military Capital of the Revolution", and each of its 39 municipalities played some part in the war effort and contains something of historical importance to this day. Preserving this proud heritage falls to the Morris County Heritage Commission, Historical Society and numerous other groups.
Victory Gardens was incorporated as a borough on June 20, 1951, from portions of Randolph Township, subject to the results of a referendum passed on September 18, 1951.
The borough is named for the Victory gardens planted at private residences during World War II. As of the 2000 Census, Victory Gardens is Morris County's smallest municipality, measured both by size and population, and its most densely populated. The origins of the borough began in 1941, when the federal government acquired 91 acres in Randolph Township as the site of a 300-unit housing project for war industry employees. The federal government paid for all infrastructure. Streets are named for United States Presidents.