Created by an Act of the State Legislature on March 15, 1738 separating it from Hunterdon County, the county derived its name from Colonel Lewis Morris, then Governor of the Province of NJ. The county is known as the "Military Capital of the Revolution", and each of its 39 municipalities played some part in the war effort and contains something of historical importance to this day. Preserving this proud heritage falls to the Morris County Heritage Commission, Historical Society and numerous other groups.
Pequannock is thought to have been derived from the Lenape Native American word "Paquettahhnuake," meaning, "cleared land ready or being readied for cultivation". The Pompton area has been cited by some sources to mean "a place where they catch soft fish".
The name for the area goes back at least as far as March 1, 1720, when it was referred to as "Poquanick", a precinct in Hunterdon County. Formed as "Poquanock Township" on March 25, 1740 as one of the largest townships in the region. Pequannock was once a vast 176-square-mile region of rural farmland settled by the Dutch after its purchase by Arent Schuyler and associates in 1695 & 1696. The township was incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature as one of New Jersey's initial group of 104 townships on February 21, 1798.