Created by an Act of the State Legislature on March 15, 1738 separating it from Hunterdon County, the county derived its name from Colonel Lewis Morris, then Governor of the Province of NJ. The county is known as the "Military Capital of the Revolution", and each of its 39 municipalities played some part in the war effort and contains something of historical importance to this day. Preserving this proud heritage falls to the Morris County Heritage Commission, Historical Society and numerous other groups.
Netcong was incorporated as a borough the New Jersey Legislature on October 23, 1894, from portions of Mount Olive Township and Roxbury Township, based on the results of a referendum held the previous day.
Netcong received its name from the Musconetcong River, named by the Lenape Native Americans and meaning "grass creek", "swamp stream" or "rapid stream.” Along with the river, the proximity of the old Morris and Sussex Turnpike, which passed through the region shortly after 1801, and the coming of the Morris Canal, in 1831, made the site a favorable one for development.
With Netcong's rich railroad history, the town has been named as a site for the NJ State Railroad and Transportation Museum.