Created by an Act of the State Legislature on March 15, 1738 separating it from Hunterdon County, the county derived its name from Colonel Lewis Morris, then Governor of the Province of NJ. The county is known as the "Military Capital of the Revolution", and each of its 39 municipalities played some part in the war effort and contains something of historical importance to this day. Preserving this proud heritage falls to the Morris County Heritage Commission, Historical Society and numerous other groups.
While Mount Arlington is now mostly a developing suburban residential community, it was once a thriving resort town. In the era before the world wars and the advent of air travel, it was a welcome respite for the residents of New York City. Every summer thousands would arrive by train at Landing Station, and then travel by water taxi across Lake Hopatcong to the areas many large resort hotels to escape the city heat and enjoy the famous “Mount Arlington breeze” which always cooled the summer evenings. There was also a major amusement park, Bertrand Island, which featured a world famous carousel and roller coaster.