Created by an Act of the State Legislature on March 15, 1738 separating it from Hunterdon County, the county derived its name from Colonel Lewis Morris, then Governor of the Province of NJ. The county is known as the "Military Capital of the Revolution", and each of its 39 municipalities played some part in the war effort and contains something of historical importance to this day. Preserving this proud heritage falls to the Morris County Heritage Commission, Historical Society and numerous other groups.
Montville Township was first settled by Dutch farmers from New Amsterdam in the early 18th century. The town was originally called "Uyle-Kill,” a name given to the creek and valley, which ran through the area. By the 1740s, the settlement had grown in size and construction of the first road was begun. The early road connected various farms with Montville’s first gristmill, sawmill and tanneries.
During the Revolutionary War Montville was a major military route from Morristown to the Hudson River. General Washington's troops often took this route and Washington stayed in Montville in June 1780. The French troops under the leadership of General Rochambeau also passed through Montville on their way to the War's final victory at Yorktown.
Montville was officially named with specific boundaries April 1800. The name came from the Mandeville Inn, which was established around 1770 and was pronounced "Mondeveil" by the Dutch, which in turn was corrupted to Montville.
The construction of the Morris Canal in this area was completed in 1828, bringing commercial navigation to Montville. The mid-19th century saw the development of two smaller village centers set apart from Montville: Pine Brook, a fertile agricultural area in the Township’s southern end, and Towaco, situated on the Morris Canal.
Photo of Pyramid Mountain Visitors Center
Research materials provided by the Morris County Heritage Commission.