Created by an Act of the State Legislature on March 15, 1738 separating it from Hunterdon County, the county derived its name from Colonel Lewis Morris, then Governor of the Province of NJ. The county is known as the "Military Capital of the Revolution", and each of its 39 municipalities played some part in the war effort and contains something of historical importance to this day. Preserving this proud heritage falls to the Morris County Heritage Commission, Historical Society and numerous other groups.
Europeans in East Hanover
On August 13, 1708, several thousand acres were sold by the Lenape natives for 30 pounds silver, 10 strands of water blankets, 15 kettles, 20 axes, 20 hoes, 10 duffel blankets, a half barrel of wine, 1 barrel of rum, 1 barrel of cider. 3 files, 1 gun beer, 1 auger, 4 pistols, 4 cutlasses, 10 guns, 100 bars of lead, 1/2 barrel of powder, 10 white blankets, 20 shirts, and 100 knives.
Unique among towns, East Hanover is defined by the joining of two rivers, the Whippany to the west and north and the Passaic to the east and north. This geographic effect led to the early name of East Hanover, "Hanover Neck." Since the creation of Hanover Township in 1720, its size has been decreased as the population of the area has increased. Originally encompassing Morris County and parts of Sussex and Warren County, Hanover Township became unwieldy for a single local government as time passed. The members of the government felt that Hanover Township needed to break apart into smaller towns that could provide more responsive local control, even if it meant increased taxes to support new facilities for each.
The secret of Hanover’s past and present success is the commitment to fostering economic growth while preserving open space and parkland areas, providing excellent educational and recreational opportunities, and most important - responding to residents' needs. It is this commitment to good government that has shaped Hanover Township into what it is today- a thriving community, proud of its past and eager to continue its tradition of stability and excellence in government.
Photo of Whippany Railway Museum