Created by an Act of the State Legislature on March 15, 1738 separating it from Hunterdon County, the county derived its name from Colonel Lewis Morris, then Governor of the Province of NJ. The county is known as the "Military Capital of the Revolution", and each of its 39 municipalities played some part in the war effort and contains something of historical importance to this day. Preserving this proud heritage falls to the Morris County Heritage Commission, Historical Society and numerous other groups.
European settlers arrived in the Denville area as early as 1690. These early settlers were Dutch and English from Long Island, Quakers from Philadelphia, and Germans. William Penn and other investors began to survey and stake out lands in the Denville area in 1715. Between 1730 and 1760, several forges and mills were erected in Denville along the Rockaway River and the Denbrook. A number of communities associated with the forges and mills emerged. Denville village developed around the Job Allen Iron Works. Early developers of Denville, such as the Hussa family and A.B Crane & Co. shaped the residential and lake communities.
Photo of Bridge by the Lake