Created by an Act of the State Legislature on March 15, 1738 separating it from Hunterdon County, the county derived its name from Colonel Lewis Morris, then Governor of the Province of NJ. The county is known as the "Military Capital of the Revolution", and each of its 39 municipalities played some part in the war effort and contains something of historical importance to this day. Preserving this proud heritage falls to the Morris County Heritage Commission, Historical Society and numerous other groups.
Richard Butler, a hardworking businessman from New York travelled to what was known as West Bloomingdale and bought into an existing rubber factory. In 1879, he became the president of the Rubber Comb and Jewelry Company (later named the Butler Hard Rubber Company.) In 1881, a post office was built and named "Butler" to honor Richard Butler, whose improvements to the Rubber Mill caused the extensive growth of the town. Shortly after, the existing railroad stop had its name changed to the Butler Railroad Station. The expanding hard rubber factory drew in hundreds of workers, and many of them decided to live and build in this one-time vacation spot. Roads were laid out, homes, stores, a hotel and a public hall were built and land was donated by Richard Butler for the Butler Methodist Church, Saint Anthony's Church and to the Board of Education. Legislature took notice of the expansion and separated it from Pequannock by making it a Borough on March 13, 1901.